Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Eliminating Desire


I’m reading an article about Time’s Person of the Year, Mark Zuckerberg, the creator of Facebook. Zuckerberg, on his page, uses the terms “Eliminating Desire”. What does “eliminating desire” mean in my life? What does it mean in your life? What does it mean for Mark Zuckerberg? For Zuckerberg, it means to not get caught up in short-term things or material things that do not matter. Eliminate desire for all that doesn’t really matter. This is a very interesting concept coming from a billionaire. I’m really struggling and think that a lot of stuff I do probably does not matter, but I think think it does or feel like it does. What could I eliminate? Where should my focus be? I need to go through and create a list of what is absolutely necessary and what is not. Wow!! This is an amazing concept. King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 5:10, “Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless". Could eliminating desire lead to absolute contentment? Excellent question! I should probably explore this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment