Monday, March 7, 2011

Expanding Your Territory

What does it mean to expand your territory? Could it simply mean getting out of your comfort zone? Does territory mean “horizons” or the way you look at things? Is Jabez referring to expanding his geographic area/property? Was he referring to a certain skill or talents? In 1 Chronicles 4:10, Jabez prays a very simple prayer. “Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.“

Jabez’ life was changed. This short but powerful verse has changed many lives. In my life, I can relate to “expanding my territory” as expanding my horizons (through travel) and the way I think about things. I was given the opportunity to visit over three countries and nearly 28 states in the last ten years. During my travels, I have experienced different cultures and God’s beautiful creation. In August of 2010, I finished a master’s degree in Global Studies. The classes opened my mind to a new way of thinking. I often find myself looking at world events with a different set of eyes.

The beauty of this prayer found in 1 Chronicles is the last part, “and God granted his request”. Jabez asked and God answered and blessed him. God answers prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment